Search Type

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Metacognition: Jane Eyre Mash Up

First thing's first: This project was fantastic and I loved every minute of it!
        Now the details...

        I have to say that this project truly tested a lot of different as well as similar aspects in thought process to that of a simple essay. For this project, honestly, when we were first assigned it, I was happy about couple of things, the fact that it required no analysis therefore might be easier, and that we had a lot of liberty in the connections we could make. So, that's how it all started for me. After we had selected a theme, I thought the search for the quotes would be really simple. However, I noticed that for this project there was more needed in order to do a good job. For one thing, the analysis was completely embedded within the search. As I was searching for the quotes, I had to sit down and really break down and analyze the theme and the possible connections and meanings that could come from it. Unlike an essay, this analysis wasn't subject to solely the book, Jane Eyre, but its meaning outside of the text, in the real world. On top of that, the choice of our sources would reflect the analysis, a picture is truly worth a thousand words.
        Another aspect that required me to come to terms with was organization. This mash up was particular in a way that on the outside there needs to be no sign of organization just a - as it is called - a mash up, but in order to reach that point, you had to have such a specific organization. After we had collected the quotes/pictures/sources, the organization was the most difficult part, something that isn't as true in an essay. In order to organize the mash up, we had to try several methods: We tried organizing on the computer, on a word document, and then finally we ended up printing all our sources and cutting them up and organizing them on the ground. It was a very frustrating process because as we were organizing, we had to choose ourselves which part of the theme we wanted to represent and bring out in a source that said a lot of things. So we had to make a lot of difficult decisions by weighing the individual meanings in one source, and picking the heaviest one. It was almost like pruning of a poem because we might've appreciated all the different aspects that the source brought, but then in the end we had to pick one. At that moment it felt that we lost a part of the source...
     I think that overall it was a very good experience, and I think for the future I'd like to work more on the pruning stage, or the organization stage. For me, I thought it was really interesting how the thinking process while writing a poem could be used for creating a mash up!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment